solved problem

My problem with f-spot Edit, Full Screen and Slide show turned out to be pretty simple. my pics had the .png extension and f-spot needs .jpg extension.  This (.jpg) is the standard that my digital camera puts out. The pictures automatically go to the Pictures folder so I just removed the offending pics by deleting them from the catalog and than importing the .jpg's from the Picture folder.  Problem solved; learned something, and f-spot works as it should.

So mujch good can happen when you persist and dig around in these programs.