Re: critical missing feature: embedding tags in EXIF/IPTC

 On 29/08/2010 18:00, Piergi wrote:

1: doing the tagging in Digikam is *crazy*: you have to put tags one by one,
drag-dropping the tag, no auto-completion and very confusing and cluttered
interface (keep in mind I am using an Eeepc, so size does matter for me).
Other than that, Digikam when «writing all metadata to images» does OK, but
when «updating metadata» it just *erase* all other tags except the updated
ones. This is obviously a show-stopper.

I couldn't agree more. The tagging is the killer-feature for me with f-spot. It is fantastically useful for naming plants ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_classification ) and I haven't found another program that is so versatile. The constant crashing drives me nuts but I can live with it for now.

C. I do the tagging with geeqie, because it writes «the right way», meaning
that I don't get the «error 102», plus it has this magic feature where you
can assign a number (1 to 6) to a tag, and then you go through the photos
attaching one or more numbers to it and they get automagically tagged.
*Very* fast way of tagging a bunch of photos (hint! hint!) [1]

I must have another look at geeqie. I didn't realise its potential.

D. At the same time I put comment (description?) with geeqie, that when
uploaded to the web it will appear as caption in my galleries, very handy.
[2]
ooooh. Like it.
[1] Actually I've read of somebody doing that with the f-spot rating thing:
he rates 1 to 5, then selects, say, the 4 and adds a same tag to those
photos, then removes the rating and so on.

I do this for deletion. The only hot-key shortcuts available in full-screen browsing are for allocating a star rating. So I use 1-star means "Mark For Delete", and at some point I select all the one-stars and Shift-Del them. I've also used it in the way you describe. It would be great to have a few more hot-keys in full-screen mode. (e.g. favourite, Mark For Deletion)