GPS geotagging: first steps to implementation

Hi Vivek,

Am Freitag, den 27.08.2010, 15:32 +0530 schrieb Vivek Raj:
> Interesting....  I have time and am interested. A little guidance
> please

Very cool. Unfortunately I haven't had a look at the code since it was
remodeled so much lately and thus can't give any detailed suggestions.

Basically I think you have two ways GPS-Data is provided. As tags in the
metadata of pictures you import (easier case) or as GPS-tracks of
variing formats the user wants to match with the photos in the database.

I believe the best would be to start with the first case and design some
UI mock-ups of useful tools and features for handling GPS-data in
pictures inside of f-spot. From the top of my head I would like to see
the possibilities to watch my geotagged photos on a map (OpenStreetMap),
correct the GPS-data by dragging or clicking on a map and to watch and
correct GPS-data by directly manipulating the metadata fields of the
pictures.

Then show the mock-ups to this list and discuss them. Next step would be
to find out how to best implement this functionality in the current
codebase. Others on this list will be able to help you with this.

HTH as starters, there are many more cool features you can think of, but
get the basics straight first, I'd say.

Cheers
Jan