Re: f-spot enhancement proposal: create several catalogues inside f-spot

Piergi wrote:

> Georges THOMAS wrote:
>>
>> I'd want to re-organize my pictures
>> (about15000) into several different catalogues, albums or collections
>> [...]
>> Beware that everytime you open a catalogue, it is compulsory to close it
>> with the proper closing executable text, and not by the close button in
>> f-spot window, if you want to save your work !
>>

> This is complicated indeed: why don't you use the --basedir option?

OK, here is how I'd do it.

mkdir .config/f-spot-catalogue1                            # create as many
directories as catalogues needed

ln -siv ~/.config/f-spot/* .config/f-spot-catalogue1/  # symlink everything
from the original config dir

rm -i .config/f-spot-catalogue1/photos.db                 # remove the
symlink to the old database

# if you want to start with a copy of your original database and delete
photos:
cp .config/f-spot/photos.db .config/f-spot-catalogue1/  # copy your orig
database to the new dir

# if you want to start with an empty database do nothing.

# Now you can launch f-spot like this:
f-spot --basedir ~/.config/f-spot-catalogue1   # it will use the newly
created config dir and database

====================================
Further configuration:

You can put in a text file the following two lines:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/f-spot --basedir ~/.config/f-spot-catalogue1

and save the file as « f-spot1 » and make it executable ( chmod +x f-spot1 )
Put the file in your bin directory: mv f-spot1 ~/bin

(Make sure ~/bin is in your path! If you don't know how to do it, you can
google it or become root and save the file in /usr/local/bin/f-spot1 )

Now if you type « f-spot1 » in a terminal you start f-spot with the
catalogue1.

You can put a link in your desktop pointing to ~/bin/f-spot1 (or wherever
you saved your text file). I suppose with your file manager you can navigate
to the newly created file, right click it and choose « send to desktop » or
something like that.

Repeat the above for each catalogue you want.

Hope this makes sense: it is easier to do it than to write it!

Ciao ciao,
Piergi