Re: Newbie questions on F-spot

mdowle mdowle plus com wrote:
Hello,

[ ... ]

2. The F-spot 'way' seems to be to have all photos (could be 000's) in one
single directory and then use an internal database to organise them,
rather than directories for each date as I've been used to in Windows.
Could the documentation actually state that near the beginning please?  It
took me 30 mins to figure this out and I'm still not 100% sure I'm correct
as I see other people on this list seem to be organising by date folder,
and I can't see this stated clearly in the documentation.  I actually like
the F-spot way - its much easier and neater - but it took time to figure
out. What are the pros and cons? When the importer stuck everything in a
single directory I at first thought this was quite poor - I thought it had
messed up. There is no message box explaining what it has done - e.g. "117
photos copied from Camera to ~/Pictures, internal F-spot database updated
which organises your pictures by date and time taken". A message like that
would have been nice to see and avoided a negative first impression
forming.

Hi, welcome to f-spot!

That sounds rather odd. I'm running f-spot (0.6.1.4) on Ubuntu 9.10 and have my preferences set to import all pictures to /jpegs. f-spot arranges these hierarchically by date according to year, month and day. Are your photos datestamped correctly? Perhaps f-spot is confused and doesn't know when they were taken so is lobbing them all in a flat folder.

Dougie