move photos into date directory hierarchy

Hi all,

I have a photos catalog which has the typical year/month/day directory
hierarchy.  But also in that catalog I have a load of files and
directories that are just randomly placed, not in the year/month/day
format.  IIRC, this catalog started before I started using f-spot, hence
the manual placement of photos into files and directories.

Now, also, IIRC, when I started using f-spot I had it just import this
manually organized catalog *without* using the "copy files to the Photos
folder" option, hence, the photos are in f-spot, but in this mish-mash
of folders.

I can manually reorganize these under the year/month/day directory
hierarchy my choosing a manual folder, finding the corresponding photos
in f-spot, doing a "remove from catalog" on them and re-importing them,
being sure to choose the "copy files to the Photos folder" option, but
is laborious, for what should be a very automatible task.

Lacking a method in the f-spot UI to do this, I think really, all I want
to do is to search the f-spot database for entries that are not in the
year/month/day hierarchy, dig the year, month and day out of the photo
(or database if that's in the database), move the photo to the right
year/month/day directory and then change the database pointer.

With some investigation into the database schema I am sure I could
script all of this up but I wonder if a) there is a UI element for doing
this that I am missing or b) if anyone else has such a script.

Cheers,
b.