Moving disk files by export/import?

I'm a newbie so bear with me. I normally store my photos under
/data/photos. The first couple of rolls I imported to my home
directory, so I've got 2007, 2008, etc. directories--I'd assumed it
would create a Photos subdir, but obviously not. Anyway, I've changed
my import directory to /data/photos, but I'd like to get the 300+
photos in my home directory moved there, too, but I don't want to have
to retag them.

I search the list archives and found a PHP script that I can probably
modify to do the job, but I'm not crazy about mucking around with the
database.

I was wondering if there was any way to export these photos, e.g., to
a folder or CD, and re-import using the new import directory, such
that tagging info is preserved.

Is this possible?

-Dave