Re: Roadmap to 1.0

Stephane Delcroix, 2008-11-20 10:51:44 +0100 :

[...]

> Major Coding Tasks:
> - rework the import process and dialogs

[...]

> 	I will take care of the 3 aforementioned coding tasks. What
> are YOUR plan to make 1.0 happen ?

  Depending on how the reworked import process looks like, I'd quite
like to finish my non-interactive, no-GUI, command-line importer (and
get it merged as part of 1.0), but that would continue to depend on
being able to use some of the F-Spot classes with no X running.
Mostly the problem stemmed from the tag store, which loaded tags from
the database; for tags with stock icons, this would require Gtk and a
running X.  I understand the reasoning, but I'd like to know if you
would accept to delay this rendering until the first access to the
icon, instead of at object creation time.  I do offer to write the
patch, obviously.

  Such a feature (headless running) would also allow an easy way to
display pictures as a dynamic website, with filtering according to
tags and so on.  But that's for 1.5 or 2.0 (or for someone else :-) It
would also make it easy to, say, automatically backup the very best
pictures to some extra place in addition to the normal backups for
normal pictures, or perform various checks in cron jobs.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Un clavier azerty en vaut deux.