Duplicate detection - "Hash for Duplicates" - does it do anything ?

Fspot 0.5.0.3, ubuntu 8.10.

I've been looking forward to the new duplicate detection in fspot, but I seem to have a problem.

If I try to import a new image twice, the duplicate is detected - good.

However, to enable the existing database for duplicate detection, I need to run "Tools->Hash for Duplicates"; this gives a dialogue with three buttons:
- execute
- stop
- close

When I press execute there is no feedback at all, no message, no change of text on the screen, nothing at all. And fspot does not subsequently identify duplicates of the existing images.

Any ideas?