Re: Opt-Out Request

John Wehmeyer wrote:
I like f-spot very much, but would *really, really* like an option to not use it as a screensaver.
I'm having the opposite problem. One of the features I'm really interested in is the ability to selectively display images in a screensaver. In fact it's probably my main use of images and digital photography. I often use images to help me learn the botanical names and features of plants and trees, and the thing that really drew me to f-spot was its ability to easily tag photos in a way that sits nicely with the conventions for plant nomenclature ( It's what makes it a killer app for me.

I used to use a screensaver such as kscreensaver, but now I'm using the Gslideshow option in xscreensaver. Its reliant on me correctly naming files so that it contains the necessary information so that I can grep and link using shell scripts to get the subsets I want to display.

I've tentatively tried using f-spot to act as a screensaver but with limited success. It hasn't worried me unduly as I appreciate it's a fast evolving package and new versions are released regularly and I'm happy to wait. What would be important to me is the ability to display a filename (or even better, the tags) when it's acting as a screensaver so that I can learn to identify plants.

At the moment when I try to make f-spot my screensaver I get the following error when I select f-spot as the screensaver. This is f-spot version 0.4.4 and the error occurs on my ubuntu desktop when I go into System/Preferences/Screensaver and select f-spot.

An unhandled exception was thrown: no such column: photos.directory_path

at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.GetNextStatement (IntPtr pzStart, System.IntPtr& pzTail, System.IntPtr& pStmt) [0x00000] at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior behavior, Boolean want_results, System.Int32& rows_affected) [0x00000] at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior behavior) [0x00000]
 at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader () [0x00000]
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand:ExecuteReader ()
 at Banshee.Database.QueuedSqliteCommand.Execute () [0x00000]
.NET Version: 2.0.50727.42

Assembly Version Information:

System.Xml (
System.Transactions (
System.Data (
Mono.Data.SqliteClient (
gconf-sharp (
gdk-sharp (
gnome-vfs-sharp (
Mono.Addins (
NDesk.DBus.GLib (
NDesk.DBus (
System (
Mono.Posix (
atk-sharp (
gtk-sharp (
Mono.Addins.Setup (
glib-sharp (
gnome-sharp (
f-spot (
Mono.GetOptions (
mscorlib (

Platform Information: Linux 2.6.22-14-generic i686 unknown GNU/Linux

Distribution Information: