Re: Date and Time on importing

Hello,

This bug is annoying me so I tried to find workarounds and I am searching for the cause of this bug.

I found a workaround: The date is recognized well by F-Spot if the image file is modified with exiv2 or exiftool before importing it. There is no need to change any values, just to overwrite an exif tag with the existing value, for example.

No I have two photos. F-Spot does not recognize the date of the original (original.jpg), but it recognizes the date of the modified (modified.jpg) one.

What is the decisive difference between the two files? If someone has a little hint or an idea to diff the meta information more precisely or whatever... would be great. I have no idea.

The diff of the exiftool output is following:

$ diff original.exif.txt modified.exif.txt
2c2
< File Name                       : original.jpg
---
> File Name                       : modified.jpg
5c5
< File Modification Date/Time     : 2008:06:02 21:24:32
---
> File Modification Date/Time     : 2008:06:02 21:39:57
39c39
< Preview Image Start             : 7582
---
> Preview Image Start             : 312235
102c102
< Thumbnail Offset                : 7820
---
> Thumbnail Offset                : 7844

I uploaded the files here:
http://www.purecodes.org/f-spot/date-bug/

Regards
Paul.

Paul Wellner Bou wrote:
Hi,

There is a strange behaviour of f-spot. I import my RAW images from the
camera or card reader and f-spot takes the date. You know, I don't like
the date handling like f-spot does it but anyway, at this time all more
or less correct.

If I convert the RAWs to JPGs, the JPGs are saved automatically in the
same directory. Then I reimport the JPGs to f-spot (with my own
extension, with dragging and dropping or just going to [Import] and
selecting the right directory).

The exif dates in those JPGs is the same as the RAW date, I checked
this. But f-spot uses different dates. I have, for example, a few
converted JPGs taken on May, 1st (2008). F-Spot stores them in
2008/05/07 and displays this date. Then there is one taken on April,
29th. F-Spot takes the date as 5/4/2008. I can reimport the photos on
another day and this does not change.

What is happening here?
Why is the exif date kind of ignored?
Why don't use just the exif date to display and order the photos?

Regards
Paul.