Imported files permissions not obeying umask?

Appologies if this has been asnwered before - I did a quick search but didn't solve my problem.

It seems that when I import files, new folders are created with permissions according to my umask (775), but the files that are copied into those folders from my USB card reader are given 700 permissions, which is annoying when they are imported into a shared folder.

Is this beyond the scope of f-spot and simply a function of the permissions they have on the mounted card (also 700, user=me, group=root), or is this controllable in some way? Ideally I need them to be imported with 775 permissions, or at least 770, so I can share them with other users on the system (we each import into our own catalog though).

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong here?

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail