Re: How to update the MainWindow query from an "external" class?

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Lorenzo Milesi
<lorenzo milesi yetopen it> wrote:
>> [...]
>> The objective of the extension is to find the pictures
>> not exported with any of the exporters so you know what pictures to
>> upload to flikr for example
>
> not all exporters write to the exports table. :(

Right, Tabblo Export doesn't, for instance.

Somewhat surprisingly, I was thinking of a very similar export-related
enhancement at the very same time.  I too find that, after a few
Import / Export sessions, it can become quite cumbersome to see which
photos have and which have not been exported.  I was thinking of using
F-Spot tags to help track the export status of photos with regard to
photo sharing services.  The following is the foreseen typical use
case:

1.  The user tags the photos she wants to export with the Export(*) tag.
2.  The user filters the photos to show only those tagged with Export(*).
3.  The user selects all the visible photos (e.g., Ctrl-A) and brings
up the Tabblo Export dialog.
4.  The user selects
        o  to tag exported photos with the Exported(*) tag
        o  to remove the Export(*) tag from exported photos
5.  As the photos are being exported, each uploaded photo is retagged
from Export(*) to Exported(*) by F-Spot automatically.

(*) These tags are created and maintained by the user, so "Export" and
"Exported" are just possible names rather than required names.

These are the required Tabblo Export UI enhancements:
   o  Add a "Tag exported photos" checkbox.  When selected, a combo
box allowing to choose from a list of all the F-Spot tags is enabled.
   o  Add a "Untag exported photos" checkbox.  When selected, a combo
box allowing to choose from a list of all the F-Spot tags is enabled.

These changes require no additional support from the F-Spot core and I
could start implementing them in Tabblo Export right away.

Of course, the suggestion is not specific to Tabblo Export and could
work with other exporters just as well.  An advantage of using tags
here instead of the database is leveraging the tag-related features
already existing in F-Spot (searches, etc.).

There's one concern, though.  Such functionality supplements a list of
export-specific code that is currently more or less duplicated in
several exporters.  The list consists of things like:
   o  resizing before exporting
   o  the "HTTPS issue"
   o  uploading with multipart requests coupled with progress bars.

I realize it is difficult to build an "export framework" that is
consistent and suits the needs of various exporters at the same time
(as is the case with _any_ framework).  At this point I was just
wondering if anyone else thinks a common "export core" would be
useful.

--
Respectfully,
Wojtek