Re: Sharing the database

Brian J. Murrell, 2008-12-20 09:40:51 -0500 :

> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 14:34 +0000, Davo Smith wrote:
>> I would like my wife and I to share a single photo database for
>> F-spot, so we can both add, edit and update photos.
>
> Get in line.
>
> Search the list archives.  There are hacks to solve this, but I've
> said it before and I will say it again, f-spot should allow (perhaps
> just optionally) a photo database to be stored in the same store as
> the photos so that a single directory would hold an entire f-spot
> "collection" -- photos and database.

If this happens, then it might make sense to allow for several
databases to exist (either one at a time, or simultaneously).  I can
see another use case for that, beyond the one that's just been
mentioned: you keep the main database on the local hard disc, but you
also have a "roaming" database on a removable USB disc.  So you can be
on the road (or at a wedding or whatever), import pictures into the
roaming database using a laptop computer, and move them to the main
database when back at home to free up space on the USB drive for the
next trip.  Of course, that would require the ability to move (and/or
copy) a set of pictures from one database to another.

  Alternately, I guess allowing the use of a real database (PostgreSQL
and/or MySQL) in replacement for SQLite would help.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Why did the tachyon cross the road?