PicasaWeb export - "Expectation Failed"

I'm having trouble using the picasa export.  The original connection
works fine, the username and password appear to be ok, but when I try to
add a new album, I get:

"The following error was encountered while attempting to create an
album: The remote server returned an error: (417) Expectation failed."

There's nothing that appears in the console for this error when it is
run from the terminal.  What's more: if I try to upload to an already
existing album, it times out.  (It seems to think it has transferred
144K every time before timing out.)

This problem is occurring with the head revision running on Ubuntu Hardy
Heron.

Thanks