Re: Add option to select tag icon from file (Bug 461447)

> Hi,
>
> I Uploaded a patch in the Bug 461447. I think that this could be a
> partial solution for the proposed change.
>
> Let me know your feedbacks,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miguel Aguero

> Hi,
>
> I am looking the same bug, but i was thinking that is better that
> initially you you cannot change the icon. I propose (and i am working
> in) when is a parent tag, select one default icon, but if is a child
> tag, take the icon from their parent.  I think in a future could be
> better remove the New icon dialog and try to set this directly in the
> tag list. when you make click in menu New tag, put the tag inside the
> tag list with some text like New Tag (if is parent) or new <Parent>
> tag (in childs, like New Event Tag or New Favorite Tag). If the user
> would like to change, he'll ned to change the title and icon (that
> could be from a picker).
>
> Frogface, let me know how we can work together.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miguel Aguero

Hi Miguel,

I have tested your patch and agree with your suggestions. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think however that what you suggesting is not directly related
to this bug number - this bug is concerned with adding the ability for a user
to select a tag icon from a picture that does not exist within their photo
libary - whereas you are working on changing the user interface for the
creation of New Tags. I would suggest creating a new bug for the enhancement
you propose and post patches to that new bug.

Anyway, back to your patch. The main reason I agree with your approach, is
that currently when the user creates a new tag there is no option to add an
icon. Therefore it is not obvious to the user that it is possible to change
the tag via the Edit Tag functionality. If you let the user do something on
editing (like customising the icon) then they should be allowed to do so when
they create the icon. Currently they can't. However with your suggested
approach the creation of a tag is a much quicker process. Once it's created
they will have to edit the tag anyway (to change the title) so they will see
that they can change the icon here too. That's more intuitive for the user
IMO.

Alternatively, the ability to choose an icon in the New Tag dialog box could
be added. However, as this is not done already, I presume there may be a
technical reason that this hasn't been implemented (such as needing a tag
record to be persisted before an icon can be added to it). In any case, your
suggestion may look slicker and also be more intuitive to me - as it similar
to creating a New Folder in Nautilus (or Konqeuror/Windows Explorer/etc).

So, if I've got this right, this is what you plan to do

MIGUEL'S SHORT TERM CHANGE
* On creating a new tag you cannot change the icon.
* If the tag is to be created as a top-level tag, select the default icon, but
if is a child tag, use the icon from their parent.

I have one comment on this. Currently there is no way to have no tag selected
in the tag list. Once you select any tag, you are locked into always having a
tag selected. We should change this so that clicking on whitespace deselects
a tag. Additionally, perhaps make it so that if a selected tag is clicked
then it gets delselected (otherwise, for example, if the list is full there
would be no whitespace available to click in order to cause deselection)

MIGUEL'S LONG TERM CHANGE
Remove the New icon dialog completely. Make 'Create New Tag' a quick process
as follows
  a.) Creating a new Parent Tag: When you right click on an existing tag and
select 'Create New Tag' from the context menu, a new tag will be created
inside the tag list with some text like 'New Tag'. A default icon is used for
the new tag.
  b.) Creating a new Child Tag: When you right click on an existing tag and
select 'Create New Tag' from the context menu, a new tag will be created
under the existing tag in tag list with some text like 'New Event Tag'
or 'New Favorite Tag'. The parent's tag is used as the icon for the new tag.
  In both of the cases (a) and (b), if the user would like to edit the newly
created tag title screen, they will use the edit tag screen. They can also
customise the icon from here.

It all sounds good to me. I hope I haven't completely misunderstood what you
were saying :) Going forward, I'll continue to work on letting the user
choose an icon from an external file and you can keep working at updating the
New Tag Creation user interface. I don't think we'll end up trodding on each
others toes. Once we're finished the end result work really well. Let me know
what you think.

All the best,
Declan