video support again: compressing video

Hi,

I'm thinking about managing videos taken from my
camera with f-spot and read about recent posts on that.
I'm wondering if there is / will be some feature for
compressing video. I use a Canon Ixus 65 camera that
creates very nice 640x480 30fps videos but with a cost:
_huge_ files. The compact camera just provide a basic
compression that needs >100Mb/min. I usually perform some
further compression offline (mencoder, ffmpeg) using
some custom script that reduces the size to 1/6 - 1/10.
The compression is quite slow.

Would it be interesting to embed such a function in
future f-spot releases? A basic implementation could be just
calling an external program, provided the desired level
of compression.

If it can be useful I can posts some of my short scripts
(nothing wonderful, just some googling).

Cheers,

Emanuele