Re: Managing imports and archives

Bill Moseley wrote:

> I tend to import all my photos to my laptop and then rsync to a
> desktop for backup and viewing.  My laptop has limited disk space.
> Any way to "archive" photos so that f-spot still remembers them (and
> the thumbnail) but the actual photo is not on the laptop drive any
> longer?
>
> I'll rsync the sqlite database to the desktop machine, too.  I assume
> there's no way to be able to edit photos on both machines and then
> "merge" the changes.
>
> Can f-spot use another database besides sqlite?  (i.e. Postgresql)?
>
> Any other tips for using f-spot on multiple machines?

Hi Bill,

I am kind of lazy to find out my previous messages here to point them out to
you, but I use f-spot on two computers, one laptop (limited space) and one
desktop (main location for all photos). So what I did was to use soft links
(ln -s) to keep one single database at a folder that I sync twice a day (I
use unison for that). That is easy, no problem. But I also keep different
folder structures in two computers. To overcome that problem, I have two
folders with same paths, one in each computer, and I soft-link from there to
actual places that I keep the photos.

As long as I do not run out of space to keep the thumbnails, this works
fine, I can see thumbnails of all photos on my laptop, and I can see all the
photos on my desktop.

Turgut