Re: Able to build 0.3.5 release src, unable to build SVN src

getting closer...

Now, I'm trying to open the glade file and get:
Failed to load /home/rbronosky/development/f-spot/trunk/src/f-spot.glade.
The following required catalogs are unavailable: gnomecanvas

Based on http://glade.gnome.org/docs/catalogintro.html I tried to
check "pkg-config --variable=catalogdir glade-3" but it returned
nothing.

I have libgnomecanvas2-0 installed, but glade-3 still gave me this
error.  So I tried guile-gnome0-canvas, same error.  I've installed
hundreds (no exaggeration) of packages trying to learn to do one
simple thing to f-spot.

Okay, I'm willing to accept that I'm going about this all wrong.  I
started a week ago trying to show my wife "the power of open source"
by adding a shortcut to "remove tag from selection"  I thought it
would be as easy as adding an accelerator tag to the f-spot.glade xml
and recompiling.  I finally got it to recompile, but there is no
shortcut.

I'd like to know 2 things:
1. How should go about making interface tweaks?
2. How can I learn to actually develop on the application?  That's
where I ultimately want to go with this.

I feel like I start what should be a simple task only to find 3
technologies I know nothing about.  I spend 3 days skimming the
surface of each of those 3 technologies.  During which, I find they
each involve 3 technologies that will take me 3 days each to skim the
surface of.  I'm 28 and in good health, but I don't think I'll be
alive long enough to get my photos organized.