Re: Editing directory names.

The problems described are a result of the "file-oriented" approach to managing photos.

We don't do it for MP3s, I don't see why it is a good idea for photos.

With MP3s, it doesn't matter if I have half an album in one directory, and the other half in another. I can still ask my music manager  for all tracks on the album  "Time capsule" by the B52s, and the GUI presents me the album.  No fuss- it doesn't care where the files live, or where I have moved the music to, If I move the files, I just tell the music manager to rescan the directories and it is done.

With this approach, files are seen as a "behind the scenes" resource, not the primary way in which you view and manage your data.  The filesystem hierarchy is relatively unimportant.

I am using Lightroom by Adobe which uses this "photo-centric" rather than "file-centric" approach.  If there are files missing from where I last had them it notices, and asks me where to look.  This is pretty neat, because I am often doing some editing here on the laptop, some there on my fileserver. And photos get moved from one to the other,  Even on my server, I occasionally do a  apring clean of my filesystems, so need any photo manager ot be able to easily cope with a move.  With LR I can view a set of photos by metadata, when I "checked them in", or directory if I really want to.

If f-spot wanted to do something similar, all the metadata is there to find photos by camera taken with, date, etc etc etc, so you can pretty easily match up the file by checking (in order of priority)
- metadata for camera & photo ID matches
- metadata for date/time matches
- size of file matches
- DCIM name embedded in filename matches

Or a score based on a combination of the above.

Other benefits are that you can easily come up with a "delete duplicates", or even a retention policy, where you can specify different filesystems or physical devices to keep multiple copies on, and f-spot knows if it needs to either delete unnecessary duplicates, or make additional ones for redundancy.  Or delete JPEGs older than 1 year if there is a larger version available.  Lots that can be done to make f-spot extensions that make life easier for us when the "file-oriented" approach is changed to a "photo-oriented" approach based on the photo metadata.

Anyway, I raised this about a year ago and was poo-pooed that f-spot is for "consumers" and that this is somehow a justification for a simplistic (and can I say dated?) approach to managing photos.  Well, I think personally that a photo-centric (could also call it a metadata-centric) approach can make the job of managing photos a LOT easier than the file-oriented approach, and if it makes life easier for those of us with 10,000 photos, it will probably also be easier for those with 1,000!

I even thought of coding a fuser filesystem that pretended to f-spot and other file-oriented software that it was looking at static files, whereas behind the scenes I'd automatically create links to the photos.  Then I could have a directory of /camera-body-serial/year/month (read from the photo metadata), and just keep my photos whereever I want to without f-spot knowing when I move them around, and just let the fuser filesystem mask the file moves for me.

Indulis
(still using Windows and Adobe LR for my raw editing/workflow for the time being)