Re: Goal #6 : Rating - 326561 Test/Review/Comment

I believe it was Bengt that suggested extending the tag database with
some more fields in the other thread:

This propably means that Tag database has to have three special fields.
* Visible (rating tag should not be visible
* Deletable (special tags should not be possible to delete)
* ID (So F-Spot can find it, irrelevant of language)

It seems to me like if we want to give access to the database in a
"safe" manner one way to do it would be with such special tags. I'm
guessing the "ID" field here could be eg "Rating".

In any case this would allow for experimention and development with
one database format. So you could try different versions of the same
patch or even multiple patches which extended the database with the
same database. (Or multiple patches at the same time.)

Eg ratings could be implemented with a new tag with ID "Rating" and
the value stored in the tag name. Also groups or stacks could be
implemented with a ID of "Group" or "Stack" and then an ID in the tag
name. So it seems like it could allow for a lot of flexibility
(although it would sacrifice performance). Particularly if extentions
are going to be able to add meta data like this.

Then if the feature is rolled in permanently it can be put into the
database as a new field, or simply left as a tag.

I'm not a database engineer in any way though. So perhaps this is a
bad idea for reasons I don't see.

/Marcus Hast