Re: Import problem (was: Moving album)

On Sö, 2006-10-15, 23:20, Dennis Drescher skrev:

> Thanks for the help. That was exactly what it was. I created a directory
> with the same name under /home just for the album and it worked okay. It
> had to generate the thumbnails but that didn't take very long.
>
> Now I have a new problem. F-Spot 0.1.11 on Dapper seems to have a bug on
> import. It asks you where you want to copy the files to. I cannot import
> them to the default directory (/home/dennis/Photos) because now they
> reside in another place. However, when I enter that location in the
> dialog it just ignores it and puts the newly imported pictures in the
> default place. Now I have my album in two locations. This is not good, I
> need to keep it all together in one place so it will be easy to move it
> next time. I take it this is a bug. Do you know if it has it been fixed
> in 0.2.2?
>
> Other than being a happy user for the past year, I have not been
> involved on this forum until today. As such, I've probably missed
> discussion on this topic. So, at the risk of flogging a dead horse, I
> need to raise the question of why can't the DB reside in the same
> directory as the album? This way all the contents be referenced by
> relative paths instead of "hard-wired" paths. To me, this would seem to
> give F-Spot a lot of flexibility and enable users to move albums around
> quite effortlessly. I've used other products that did this and it was
> easy in this respect. However, they had lots of other flaws that F-Spot
> has over come. It is still my preferred photo management tool but sure
> would be nice if album migration was easier. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on that idea?

Hi

0.2.2 is much better than 0.1.11, and I would recommend you to upgrade if
at all possible. The import dialog is more stable for one.
The not to far future holds some re-design of the import dialog and
function as well.

Regarding relative vs. absulute paths for the photos.
Right now I can not remember any discussion why we have absolute paths.
Perhaps add an enhancement request in bugzilla regarding this?

/Bengt

p.s.
CC the f-spot-list for archive and possible more comments.