Re: Query patch

Howdy list!

Gabriel's gui query editor received a positive feedback from the crowd
at the summit. Although quite rightly the text query got a much bigger
applause :)

Gabriel spent some time trying to implement a few additions we discussed
to make it more discoverable how to edit the query.

Mockup:

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/boston2006/fspot-query.png
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/boston2006/fspot-textquery.png

Rationale:

Drag and Drop
------------------------
Shift is usually used as a modifier key to negate or toggle the action
performed, so it would be reasonable to have a dragged tag be added to
the query as AND and the shift key to toggle to OR.

Discoverability
-----------------------
Once the tags are in place, make the and/or easily editable with a
simple dropdown. The additional functionality of supplying NOT for a tag
or removing it from the query could also do with some indication on the
interface.

Additionally it should be communicated better that the thumbnail view
only lists photos filtered out. Nautilus uses quite nice color coding
for special locations like search and burn://

It may be nice to be able to have the text and the gui search translate
to each other. I'm not sure putting a toggle button onto the search
stripe would be a good idea. Just two entries in the menu and two
shortcuts would do I think.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac novell com>