Re: Goal #6 : Rating - 326561 Test/Review/Comment

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Also, I believe that the database location should be changed to the
photodir location. This would allows for three advantages:

I agree completely --- so much so that I've been using the photodir and basedir args to do this manually for quite a while.

The big advantage for me is that I can back up all relevant info on my photos in one spot...

1) F-spot could look in photodir for the database. If it finds it,
then it knows that the database is of the new format. If not, then it
will look in ~/.gnome2/f-spot, and create a new database in photodir
of the new format.

Given that people can already put the database in this place, I wouldn't recommend making assumptions about the db based on the location. I'm pretty sure the db already has a version # in it...

2) The new location would allows for multiple Library support. I know
that little work has been done on this, but here is the opportunity to
set the stage for this. I myself am looking forward to this
enhancement, assuming that it will one day be.

Well - it works fine already with the command line args - I've got 3 different 'real' libraries I use, plus a few for testing...

3) This would make testing new F-Spot builds easier and safer. If I
see that I'm in my 'real' photo collection, I know that I'm also on my
real database. There is no chance of me testing an F-spot build on my
real database by accident.

One of the other reasons I put the db in the directory...

Warren