Re: Last Import patch

Bengt Thuree wrote:

Yes this would definitely speed up the process quite a bit.
But also make it a lot more complicated to use the filter.
For instance: I want to see all photos from the last and second last
import that I have not set a location tag on.
If the import sessions are treated as tags, then everything else falls
very nicely into place. Apart from the fact that you need to treat these
as special tags.

As I said in my last post about copyright --- I don't think tags should be used for random bits of information.

We need to be careful to distinguish database details from the UI details... *maybe* it makes sense to show recent imports as tags in the UI (I'm not yet convinced of this, btw), but that doesn't necessarily imply that we have to use tags to store the data in the back-end.

I think in the long run that things are going to get really muddled if we try to store all kinds of different information in the tag portion of the database. We're going to end up with special cases upon special cases (well, if it's a copyright tag, do this, if it's a last import tag, do that, ...)

After thinking about it a bit, I'm starting to imagine that an 'import' might be a useful first class concept for the user --- if we let them name the imports - 'Vacation in Greece' or 'Bob's Birthday', they could be a fairly useful organization tool... They might become a bit more like the 'folder' structure in iPhoto --- just a named collection of photos...

What are other people's comments on this?  Unfortunately my opinion
still is only an opinion ;-)
As is mine ;)

And mine... :-)

Warren