Re: 30+ patches in BugZilla.

On 5/17/06, Martijn Vermaat <mvermaat cs vu nl> wrote:
Op wo, 17-05-2006 te 16:35 +0900, schreef Bengt Thuree:
> HEAD should not always be perfect. The relased stable versions should be
> more reliable. Or?

Sorry to bring this up here, but I think CVS is seriously holding
development back in situations like this.

Using a modern distributed version control system would make maintaining
different branches a triviality, and even Subversion would make creating
stable and experimental branches easier.
I don't know what the current status is, and don't expect the GNOME
project to make the rather brave step to a distributed version control
system, but am expecting a move to Subversion for a while now...

ATM its only a matter of hardware, check the gnome-infrastructure
mailing list for more info on the discussion. We've had some issues
with the slightly outdated python version on the container and what
not, but right now we just need some hardware to handle it all. (I
think were getting it, and you can expect to see test migrations
sometime this summer with the cutoff mid august. but thats tentative
right now, so don't quote me.)

And more on-topic, I think Brengt is right. F-Spot is clearly atracting
a lot of users and possible contributers, and you don't want to just
'wait' them away :)
Quite punny I must admit ;)

For anyone who cares, I forwarded this to the dashboard-hackers
mailing list, as beagle is facing a similar situation.

--
Martijn Vermaat
Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam

e: mvermaat cs vu nl