Re: Problems building f-spot (gtk-sharp)

Warren Baird wrote:

On 3/17/06, *Gabriel Burt* <gabriel burt gmail com <mailto:gabriel burt gmail com>> wrote:

    The Building page is out of date.  You don't need SVN gtk-sharp, and
    you do need much higher than 0.28 mono (more like 1.1.10 I think).  If
    you are on Ubuntu, I would suggest doing a "sudo apt-get build-dep
f-spot" to get the needed packages.

Hmm..  With ubtunu 5.10 "sudo apt-get build-dep f-spot" says:

    E: Unable to find a source package for f-spot

I have the binary version of f-spot (0.1.3) installed, so I think I have all the repositories configured correctly.

I went ahead and tried to configure f-spot with all of the packages from ubuntu installed that I could find. I get this error:

-----
Requested 'gtkhtml-sharp-2.0 >= 2.7' but version of Gtkhtml is 2.3.92

-----

I'm assuming Gtkhtml is part of Mono? Would building my own newer version of mono get around this?

I'm doing this on my work laptop, so I'd rather avoid using pre-releases of Ubuntu... I need the overall system to be pretty stable...

Thanks!

Warren

I'vc built f-spot on Fedora core 3 (now on core5) and got the same issues, try running a few 'tests' like
find / -name "gtk*.pc" -print >pkg-config-path-list
or
find / -name "*sharp*pc" -print >pkg-config-path-list
this will find all the package config files (like gtkhtml-sharp.pc) which the configure script uses to determine which gtkhtml (or whatever) you have installed, it may be you have two such files and the first one pkg-config finds in /usr/lib/pkgconfig is older to test this run
pkg-config -modversion gtkhtml-sharp .
you then could point PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the location of more recent '.pc' files and/or rename the old ones and try again... export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/mono-1.1.10/lib/pkgconfig or /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig The configure script also suggests setting 'CFLAGS' and other variables, you can find their correct values in those '.pc' files along with version information

This process resolved build issues I had on fedora, I have not tried building on ubuntu....

Trev