Re: PennAve - a dynamic gallery for F-Spot

On 18/07/06, Patrick Wagstrom <wagspat iit edu> wrote:
I have to confess, being an American, non-latin characters are something
that I don't use that often.  However, I just went and created a few
tags with some dummy characters - a mixture of Cyrillic, Hebrew, and
Thai in the same tag, a few Thai descriptions, etc.  As near as I can
tell, PennAve handled it just fine and should be able to handle
non-latin characters.

In reality, PennAve never actually knows what the tags are.  Python is,
for the most part, a pretty unicode friendly programming language.  The
bindings for SQLite, which is the database for F-Spot, are mostly
unicode safe (as of version 2, which is what you need to read the
database).  LibXML, the library I use for XML conversion is unicode
safe.  That leaves the major component left as the browser.  It works
fine on Firefox, on my copy of IE 6 and Windows 2000 some of the
characters didn't render probably because I was missing the fonts (the
"≫" character also doesn't render on that copy of IE).

I'll certainly be using it then. I haven't looked at the code (and I
won't have time to for at least a few more weeks) but the ability to
change the template of the HTML without getting too deep into the
python would be nice. In BrilliantPhoto (my old photo management
program from my windows days) the HTML templates were stored in a
seperate, editable files. That would be welcome in PennAve if it is
not already done so.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com

2