Re: PennAve - a dynamic gallery for F-Spot

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 09:07 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> That's pretty nice. How do it handle non-latin characters?

I have to confess, being an American, non-latin characters are something
that I don't use that often.  However, I just went and created a few
tags with some dummy characters - a mixture of Cyrillic, Hebrew, and
Thai in the same tag, a few Thai descriptions, etc.  As near as I can
tell, PennAve handled it just fine and should be able to handle
non-latin characters.

In reality, PennAve never actually knows what the tags are.  Python is,
for the most part, a pretty unicode friendly programming language.  The
bindings for SQLite, which is the database for F-Spot, are mostly
unicode safe (as of version 2, which is what you need to read the
database).  LibXML, the library I use for XML conversion is unicode
safe.  That leaves the major component left as the browser.  It works
fine on Firefox, on my copy of IE 6 and Windows 2000 some of the
characters didn't render probably because I was missing the fonts (the
"≫" character also doesn't render on that copy of IE).

Hope this helps.

--Patrick