Re: Importing photos to Fspot

On 2/24/06, Bengt Thuree <bengt thuree com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently F-Spot do not import any tags at all unfortunately.
> In the not to far future F-Spot will read the XMP and perhaps IPTC tags
> and create F-Spot tags from them. Right now, F-Spot stores the tags as
> XMP tags embedded in each photo.
>
> Feel free to write a small patch that will be able to read your external
> database and convert it to F-Spot tags :)
>
> F-Spot's tags (and all other internal information) are also stored in an
> SQLite database (~/.gnome2/f-spot/photos.db). If you modify this
> database manually take a backup first perhaps :) Then again, it should
> be easier to use the gui and drag and drop the tags to each photo.
>
> (I am also waiting for F-Spot to start reading the XMP tags, since most
> of my photos are tagged with IView MediaPro under Windows, and it stored
> them as IPTC and XMP tags.)
>
> /Bengt
>
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:45 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I downloaded and installed Fspot today on my Kubuntu 5.10 system. I
> > have many photos that are already tagged with another (windows)
> > application. I want to import the photos into Fspot and have the tags
> > imported as well. It is obvious to me that the tagging formats are not
> > compatable, but I can access the tags in php and therefore create any
> > type of file that Fspot will accept. I simply need to know in what
> > format the file needs to be.
> >
> > For instance, to import the photos to KimDaBa I can create an
> > index.xml file that KimDaBa recognizes as it's own. Will someone
> > please inform me as to what type of file I need to create for Fspot?
> > If Fspot has no import function (indeed, I found none that would
> > import tags as well) then please tell me where Fspot keeps it's tag
> > information- I will simply edit that file / database directly.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> > http://dotancohen.com183

Well, the idea of tagging the files in the first place is because I
don't remember all the details of all the photos. So retagging
everything in Fspot is not practical- especially when we are talking
about 8000 of photos. Fspot's tagging features will be usful for
tagging futire images, however. I will play with the f-spot/photos.db
and see if I can implant the information there.

For futire reference, should I top-post to this list as Bengt has?
Most mailing lists that I know do not like this behaviour, but if it
is prefered here then I will top-post.

Thank you.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/