Re: Various patches expected

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 14:23 +0100, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am a new user of f-spot. What I really would like to get is the
> ability to make requests in logical strings (I remember seeing a screenshot
> where  one could request pictures with "(my sister and location: our
> place) or (my nephew and event: birthday)" (conjunctive normal form).
>
> This patch would be a great addition to f-spot.

Gabriel Burt is doing a bunch of work on more advanced queries in the
query branch in CVS, try it out and give him feedback.

> Preferences about wether "Copy photos to ~/Photos" should be checked by
> default during import would be great (I never want to copy to ~/Photos,
> my home disk is a NFS mount and backed-up, and I cannot allow my
> personal pictures to be backed-up at my lab).

This is a known problem point. The contention comes where if you copy it
sometimes but not others how do you clearly inform the user when you
haven't copied the photos so that they don't assume you have then remove
teh originals.  It is further complicated by the fact that you pretty
much always want to copy photos when importing from cameras so a single
option just isn't good enough.  See the list archives for a lot of
discussion about this

> Some support for "ghost images" (backuped pictures, not present on the
> disk, but thumbnailed) is being discussed, I see in the archives. This
> would be really good.

This is definitely in the plans.

> Being able to choose themes when exporting to a static HTML folder would
> also be an improvement. There are already themes available for gthumb,
> for example, that could be reused.

You realize there are themes built into the javascript generated right?

> I also miss keys to fast-forward or pause during diaporamas, and of course
> complete integration with music for diaporamas would be great.
>
> Overall, I am happy with f-spot, but search with ANDs and ORs would
> really improve the experience.
>
> I do not know C#; however, this does not look really different from most
> languages I know. But I suck at GUI programming.

It is very similar to java.  Don't be afraid to poke around.

--Larry