Comments in code

I just got started digging through F-Spot's code a couple weeks ago.
I noticed there are very few comments anywhere.  There are hardly any
file headers, function headers, process descriptions, variable
descriptions or anything.  The few comments I have seen are FIXMEs.

I'm trying to get started contributing to F-Spot, but I find it hard
to get up to speed with what the code is doing.  Is there a reason for
the severe lack of in-code documentation (or programming-centric
documentation at all, for that matter)?  Or it just a result of the
coders forgetting/neglecting to put in comments?  Finally, when I
submit code, should it be commented?

Thank you

-mwg