Re: Nondestructive photo-retouching/editing, implementation using GEGL?

On 8/28/06, Neilen Marais <nmarais snowisp com> wrote:
I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to implement as little as possible
of the low-level image-manipulation functionality in F-spot itself. The
goals of the GEGL http://www.gegl.org/ library, which also aims to be the
back-end of GIMP seems like it can be quite useful.

Image operations are specified in an XML file, which would make it quite
easy to store manipulations in the F-Sport DB. This would also make
it possibe to import/export image manipulations for use with other
apps.

I was looking though the dev list there and found references to a good
introduction to image processing one of the devs there had done on
http://pippin.gimp.org/image_processing/. Recommended reading for
anyone who haven't played with such algorithms before. (And for people
who has as well.) He has apparently also made a plugin for Lua for
GIMP which allows for some flexible image manipulation
programmatically. I have to say that seems like a pretty nice thing
for making basic effects and tying them into a GUI.

Also the basic structure for how they "draw" processing diagrams is
pretty close to what I was thinking of for "work flows" of effects.
(Though theirs is better as they actually have stuff running. ;-)

/Marcus