Re: Plugins (was Re: F-Spot mission statement)

On 8/28/06, Ben Monnahan <monnahan gmail com> wrote:
Quick one, and I'll save any more discussion for the meeting :)

2006/8/28, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com>:

> Unfortunately, with something like a photo app, I'm not sure plugins can
> solve the semi-pro usability issue.   A pro/semi-pro photo workflow
> touches all aspects of the photo process - from importing mechanisms
> (good candidate for plug-ins), to rating systems (bad candidate, IMO),
> to full-screen mode functionality (bad candidate, IMO), to interacting
> with external systems like flikr (good candidate, IMO).

This is a concern of mine.  From what I've read on the list, the
pro/semi-pro camp is really looking for a completely separate workflow.  If
that is what they need, how are we going to fit that in with what the casual
user is looking for.  Right now its a bit hard for me to imagine it, but I'm
guessing we can work something out, whether it be plugins or something else
( preferences, keystrokes to enter supersecret mode:) ).

Well at least when I have been talking about a work-flow it has been
more for editing and such. For those purposes it could be handled as a
separate view. (Just as there now are an icon view and an edit view.
That may not be sufficient for everyones needs though.

But yes, I'm sure that it will be possible to make something which is
flexible enough. OTOH that will likely take a lot of additional design
time.

/Marcus