Re: Plugins (was Re: F-Spot mission statement)

Quick one, and I'll save any more discussion for the meeting :)

2006/8/28, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com>:

Unfortunately, with something like a photo app, I'm not sure plugins can
solve the semi-pro usability issue.   A pro/semi-pro photo workflow
touches all aspects of the photo process - from importing mechanisms
(good candidate for plug-ins), to rating systems (bad candidate, IMO),
to full-screen mode functionality (bad candidate, IMO), to interacting
with external systems like flikr (good candidate, IMO).

This is a concern of mine.  From what I've read on the list, the pro/semi-pro camp is really looking for a completely separate workflow.  If that is what they need, how are we going to fit that in with what the casual user is looking for.  Right now its a bit hard for me to imagine it, but I'm guessing we can work something out, whether it be plugins or something else ( preferences, keystrokes to enter supersecret mode:) ).

import/export plugins can address *some* of the issues that affect a
semi-pro photographer, but definitely not all of them...

I'm hoping plugins will be able to do much more than import and export.  We'll probably start there since its the most straight forward.  But Banshee has plugins for other things.

Also - in a lot of ways we aren't breaking new ground here.   There are
dozens of photo management apps out there - some good, some not-so-good.
   It's not like we have to re-invent the wheel...

Also true, although AFAIK ( and I haven't looked :) ), there aren't any apps that appeal to casual and pro photographers.

Ben