Re: Advanced query mockup and saving searches

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback...

Ben Monnahan wrote:

    I'm sure it also needs some explanation.   The basic idea is that the
    query will be broken down into components - each row in the UI will
    represent one component, and the overall query will be the "AND" or "OR"
    of the components.

Will the "AND" or "OR" be user selectable or will we need to decide that?

User selectable - the initial display would have a single row, and each time the user selects "AND" or "OR" at the end of the row, we add another row. We'd probably need controls for moving rows up and down. Grouping could probably be handled the same way...

    This is modeled quite heavily on how the iPhoto UI does things, 'cause I
found it works quite well for me there...

Nice to know its been found usable elsewhere.

One question.  How would NOT work in this UI?

I'd envisioned it through the modifiers - you might say "tags does not contain fred" instead of "AND NOT tags contain fred"

I do like it and it should be easy to implement. The other ones I remember are a search bar style and then the current drag the icons around to create searches. Are there any other UI proposals?

I've actually got another proposal - I'll submit it as a separate email rather than adding it here...

Warren