Re: f-spot in a photo workflow

On 8/18/06, Marcus Hast <marcushast gmail com> wrote:
> I often have many shots that will go to image post-processing: shots for
> panoramic compositions, shots for HDR compositions ...
I was considering to do basic grouping, and tagging depending on a
group/stack as well as being able to create a version of the group
which would be the combined image. That seems like it would cover most
basic uses and also make it possible to at least work with this system
even if it's not all that automatic.

Well, that would be a good use case for image stacking - you stack all
images from one panorama or one HDR image together, select several
images from the stack and call an external editor on them. After you
are done composing the image, there just needs to ba a way to add you
final composite to the same stack as the "top" image. So in the result
the partial images would not show up in the photo flow by default.

These are two usecases when you have multiple related images where you
want to store al of them, but show only one of them after the workflow
is complete. The same can be said about burst photos, for example.

That is why we need stacking of photos witha way to arbitrary add or
remove photos to/from a stack. A stack would differ from a group in
that only the top image from the stack would be shown in the photo
timeline. In that the stacking is more like 'versions' then 'tags'.
But an interface to edit a stack is needed (adding photos to a stack,
removing them, arranging the order, choosing the top photo, calling an
external editor on one or several photos from the stack). Also it is
concievable that each photo in a stack could have multiple versions
(from edits) that would not need to appear in the stack editing
interface (not by default anyway).

--
Best regards,
   Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius debian org