Re: Renaming files behind f-spot's back

Bengt Thuree <bengt thuree com> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 18:47 +0200, Colin Marquardt wrote:

>> Quite some time ago, I had imported some galleries and tagged
>> them. In the meantime, I renamed the files in those directories
>> behind f-spot's back (directory names are still the same I
>> think). Now, f-spot still shows me the thumbnails, but can't find
>> the file anymore when I want to view them in bigger size. I tried to
>> clean out the now-stale thumbnails with "Refresh Thumbnail", but
>> this didn't seem to have the desired effect.

> If you want to continue, I think you need to go into the Sqlite database
> yourself, and edit the filename fields to indicate the new file name.

Urgh. Problem is, I don't have the before/after mapping.

> Or, if you do not care about the tags, just delete them, and then
> re-import them again.

Well, the time-consuming thing is now finding the thumbnails that
don't have a valid reference anymore. I only get the big question
mark symbol when I try to view it in big size. Could "Refresh
Thumbnail" find them for me, in addition to what it does normally? I
imagine it would ask "Cannot find the originals for 42 images
anymore - do you want to remove them from the catalog?". Or it could
mark them with a special tag and tell the user about it.

Actually, I don't quite see what "Refresh Thumbnail" does right now
- shouldn't thumbnail updating always be automatic?

Thanks for your answer,
  Colin