RE: aperture

Hello,

On an related note: I haven't seen what Aperture actually
supports, but they seem to have something supporting
multiple versions of a file (is it only for raw?)

In any case, this is something that I've been pondering
upon for a while:

One of the most annoying things with photo management
and retouching is to have several copies of the same
image, each with different manipulations yielding
different results. They all take a considerable amount
of disk space, and I feel awkward every time I delete a
Photoshop (or Gimp) native file after the job is done,
because I loose all history of the manipulations that
were done to the original.

What I'd *really* like would be a tool that only keeps
the original, and as many versions as I like of
"manipulation history scripts" to generate modified
versions with my favorite image editing tool. If one
day I want to generate a new copy, or come back on
an old picture when I find out a new trick that seems
to do a better job at something I was trying to achieve,
then I can do it easily, and without adding yet another
tens-of-megabytes file to my hard drive (yes, potentially
at the cost of looking at a hourglass icon for a few
minutes...).

I understand this is not easy, because it requires a
tight integration between the photo management tool and
the image manipulation tool, but it just seems to me like
something that Makes Sense. Photo management tools should
be good at managing photos, image manipulation programs
should be good at manipulating images, and since they
both belong to connecting parts of the same workflow, they
should have a standard way of talking to each other...

Does someone know anything that may have been done in that
direction, by anyone (commercial or open source?)?

Thanks!

phil