RE: aperture

 Philippe Desaulniers twisted the bytes to say:

 Philippe> One of the most annoying things with photo management
 Philippe> and retouching is to have several copies of the same
 Philippe> image, each with different manipulations yielding
 Philippe> different results. They all take a considerable amount
 Philippe> of disk space, and I feel awkward every time I delete a
 Philippe> Photoshop (or Gimp) native file after the job is done,
 Philippe> because I loose all history of the manipulations that
 Philippe> were done to the original.

 Philippe> Does someone know anything that may have been done in that
 Philippe> direction, by anyone (commercial or open source?)?

 Philippe> Thanks!

I totally agree. This will yield better version control. Photoshop is
one step away from something that could support this one day. If it
only saved the history instead of the final file.

The problem of saving histories is that they are actions that are
destructive of previous actions (for example, you create a layer,
draw over it, and then destroy it). In this case you don't want to
save every actions, because it will lead to huge files. This might
not be a trivial problem.

At the very least, a solution will be: look, this layer does not need
to be reproduced here, instead, place a pointer to the RAW file with
the parameters needed to generated. That will save a lot of space,
and will allow a photographer to apply the same processing to
different images, and to better version control.

This is similar to the notion of an "include" than to saving the
history.

--
Daniel M. German                  "I am like any other artist.
                                   It just so happens that