Re: Flickr export working with the new Auth system in Flickr (Yahoo!)

Hi!

El mar, 18-10-2005 a las 14:00 -0500, Larry Ewing escribió:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 23:10 +0200, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a working version of F-Spot that can export to Flickr using the
> > new Auth system. It is based in the FlickrNet library. With this new
> > system you can use the new Yahoo! accounts and also, the old Flickr
> > accounts so I think we can use only this way.
> >
> > You can see how it works in this screenshot tutorial with 9 steps:
> >
> > http://acs.barrapunto.org/~acs/flickrSpot/
>
> Nice work!  Are all the auth steps really required now? They really made
> that harder than it used to be, what a pain.  Is there any way we could
> add extra code to simplify things?

One option could be to integrate a web browser in F-Spot, something I
think it is a bad idea. So it is impossible not to break the user flow
and lost her in a web browser for some seconds ....

I have disabled the "Continue" button in the export dialog until the
user hits the "Authorize" button. The best way to enable this button,
currently it is enable as soon as the user hit "Authenticate", is to try
to get a token from Flickr in a thread. Once you get the token it is a
clear fact that the user has given F-Spot the correct authorization in
FLickr so it is the right moment to enable the button.

> > Any comments will be welcomed and if this feature is going to be in
> > Flickr in the future, we need to define how to do it. In the past I have
> > sent several patches, for example for the Duplicate detect feature, and
> > finally they haven't reached upstream without a clear reason for it.
> > Maybe it is just lack of time from Larry to review the patches. Larry, I
> > have write permissions in GNOME CVS repository so I can do the work to
> > commit the code to F-Spot repository but I suppose you want to review
> > the code and be sure it is right to be integrated upstream. I could
> > create a patch for this Flickr feature against current CVS but I would
> > do it if finally is decided to integrate it upstream.
> >

> The slow patch review is all me, and I apologize.  I'll send out some
> comments today.

Don't worry Larry. I only need to understand the process in order to get
the work integrated upstream. This is my final target in all the work I
am doing.

> > You can test it working right now in my unofficial F-Spot repository at:
> >
> > https://acs.barrapunto.org/svn/f-spot/
>
> Glancing over the changes there the first thing I notice is a lot of
> whitespace changes and 4 space tabs, please use 8 space tabs and don't
> align variable names at start of functions (it leads to too much
> reformatting to be useful).

Great! I will follow it.

> I've checked in a HACKING file with some of
> the rules on codeing style.  Beyond that the import changes look pretty
> cool, but I haven't looked deeply at them yet.

Ok, the hard work is in the FlickrNet library that we should include in
F-Spot code for this new system to work.

> > Also, it will be great if the Duplicate detect feature is also
> > integrated upstream. I feel people find it useful and the final design
> > have followed the comments in the list.
> >

> Like I said I'll follow up with some comments on duplicates later today.

Great Larry! I have received the email and my plans for my next free
time windows will be:

1. Check the HACKING file and follow all the rules.

2. Read carefully your comments about the duplicate patch in order to
put it in a form we can include it upstream.

3. Work in this Flickr patch in order to include it upstream.

Cheers

-- Alvaro