Re: Duplicates patch new version - Check box in importing

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 06:30 +0200, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> > After applying this patch, f-spot would crash trying to do database foo.
> >
> Yes, if you try to use the actual database format it will crash because
> the patch needs a new field for the MD5 string. So you need to test the
> patch removing your current database. This is a very bad thing because
> you can't use F-Spot seriously until the database scheme is maintained
> between versions. But F-Spot isn't yet for end user consumption as you
> can read in the README, so I have followed this way.

I know it's not really meant for end user consumption (totally
appreciate that). But seriously, this is the best tool. That's not just
on linux either. It beats at least the first few versions of iPhoto
hands down (i haven't used the more recent ones).

With duplicates detection, it beats the current iphoto too! (i had a OSX
user friend of mine comment about how mad she got after spending more
than an hour removing duplicates only to have iphoto crash and them all
come back again!).

so having such a feature would totally rock. also makes testing some
things easier (waiting for an import of tens of thousands of photos too
often gets dull).

> > so, after removing the f-spot database and starting my import again, i
> > got an error during import:
>
> This is really strange because I have tested it a lot.

totally sympathise :)

> I have right now exactly the same problem. Time to find the reason:
>
> The problem is updating the photo tags ... and it comes from the fact
> that the Duplicate tag isn't created. In my developing environment I
> have a database which already had the duplicate tag created in the past
> so this is why I haven't found the problem.
>
> I attach a modified patch with the problem solved. Apply it against the
> current CVS.

I've imported the first thousand photos (with 16 dupes in there) and it
worked fine. Currently importing the rest of my photos. All going well
so far, thanks!

> Thanks a lot Stewart for catching the bug and testing the duplicates
> patch.

no worries - this is one of the much-needed features for me.

It'd be great if there was a way to find out the file names of the
duplicates (so i could actually go and delete the duplicate photos).

--
Stewart Smith (stewart flamingspork com)
http://www.flamingspork.com/