Re: importing directories

On 11/30/05, Larry Ewing <lewing novell com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 00:40 -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 23:48 -0500, John Russell wrote:
> > > Is there any way to change the ~/Photos folder?
> >
> > There isn't (yet).
> >
> > > In a related question is there a way to make the "Copy file to the
> > > Photos folder" checkbox on the import dialog default to off?
> >
> > Defaulting it to on is probably a good idea, but saving your preference
> > after the first time is also a good idea.
> >

> It is a potential data loss situation, I'm not sure saving the setting
> is appropriate.  It certainlt needs to be explicit and not implcit that
> the setting is lasting.  Is it really that hard to uncheck the box?  Or
> is it just a pain when combined with the automatic path chosing stuff
> below?

I don't see how this is potential data loss.  Maybe if you were having
f-spot always manager your pics and were importing directly from a
camera.  However, I've been around the block with umpteen different
photo organizer thingies so I organize my own pics with directories.
For this sort of usage, yes, this is really annoying especially since
you can't change the fact that it keeps putting the photos in
~/Photos.

Also, I was pretty surprised when the settings _weren't_ preserved.
That is pretty standard practice for any checkbox like setting on most
applications.  I think that if it is on by default (which it is) and
the setting is saved when you change it, then people who dont' know
any better are happy, people that like the copy can just leave it, and
I can turn it off ;-)

> > > I imported a directory with some movies in it as my camera takes avi
> > > movies. The non-image files ( avi and one .wav ) show up as empty
> > > entries in the catalog.
> >
> > I'm not sure how these are supposed to be handled.  I know that support
> > for opening avi's in totem and keeping track of wav's associated with
> > photos are feature requests, but I thought they were supposed to be
> > silently skipped for now too.
> >

> They should be being skipped right now, if they aren't something strange
> is going on.  Skipping them This is actually a bug, it needs to at least
> copy them when importing from DCIM directories so that people don't lose
> the movies.

I agree about the copying movies and sound bites.  I'll try to find
out why they show up blank for me.

> The underscore thing is an annoying side effect of the way gtk mnemonics
> are implemented and how gtk# wraps those interfaces.  There is code in a
> couple of places to escape the _ but everything that displays paths
> needs to be audited.

Can you point me to one that escapes correctly so I know what to fix
if I see it again?

Thx.

John