Re: importing directories

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 00:40 -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 23:48 -0500, John Russell wrote:
> > Is there any way to change the ~/Photos folder?
>
> There isn't (yet).
>
> > In a related question is there a way to make the "Copy file to the
> > Photos folder" checkbox on the import dialog default to off?
>
> Defaulting it to on is probably a good idea, but saving your preference
> after the first time is also a good idea.

It is a potential data loss situation, I'm not sure saving the setting
is appropriate.  It certainlt needs to be explicit and not implcit that
the setting is lasting.  Is it really that hard to uncheck the box?  Or
is it just a pain when combined with the automatic path chosing stuff
below?

> > I imported a directory with some movies in it as my camera takes avi
> > movies. The non-image files ( avi and one .wav ) show up as empty
> > entries in the catalog.
>
> I'm not sure how these are supposed to be handled.  I know that support
> for opening avi's in totem and keeping track of wav's associated with
> photos are feature requests, but I thought they were supposed to be
> silently skipped for now too.

They should be being skipped right now, if they aren't something strange
is going on.  Skipping them This is actually a bug, it needs to at least
copy them when importing from DCIM directories so that people don't lose
the movies.

> > I imported this folder as described above, and then went to select
> > another folder to import.  When I open the Import folder dialog, the
> > Thxgiving folder is already selected and f-spot immediately starts
> > trying to import the final 9 movies that it errored importing the last
> > time.  I have to cancel that import in order to start another one.
>
> I've heard about this issue, though I'm not familiar.

I think this may be a side effect of the way the import from command
line code was hacked together.  It needs to be fixed, it is pretty
annoying.  The import code in general needs some major refactoring, I
just haven't gotten up the energy to deal with that mess again.

> > And the name of the directory at the top is not
> > 2005-11-27_Thxgiving
> > but
> > 2005-11-27Thxgiving
> >  with the 'T' underlined as a keyboard shortcut.  I'm pretty sure that
> > this is a gtk+ thing having underscores denote shortcut keys, but
> > underscores are valid directory characters too and should be handled
> > in this case.
>
> I'm sure you're right.  I would do a bug search and then file bugs for
> all of these if you don't find anything.

The underscore thing is an annoying side effect of the way gtk mnemonics
are implemented and how gtk# wraps those interfaces.  There is code in a
couple of places to escape the _ but everything that displays paths
needs to be audited.

--Larry