Re: Enhancements

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 00:03 +1100, Bengt Thuree wrote:

> Hej
>
> I am wondering where I should put in suggestions for enhancements?

Discussion of ideas is fine on the list.  If you want to make sure a
particular idea is actually remembered after it is discussed, use
bugzilla to store it.

> Should I do it here or in Bugzilla?
>
> A few things I have been thinking of
>
> 1) A way to Negate a TAG. So you can easily see which photos do not have
> a particular tag/category associated with it. (See TR 170315)

Yeah there also needs to be a simple way to switch between AND and OR
queries, right now it only does OR.  My current thinking is something
like a quick search bar that shows up beneath the icon list with

Show photos with | * all  | of these [tag1 icon] [tag2 icon] [..] tags.
		 | O any  |
		 | O none |

when a search is active. But I haven't gotten around to trying it out.

> 2) An easy way to view the photos that were added to the collection
> a) current day
> b) last two days
> c) last 7 days
> d) last 30 days
> e) last 90 days

Yeah picassa uses a slider for this with a label that shows you the
interval.  This would be very easy to implement. Time restrictions are
already available in the query someone just needs to hook up a nice ui.

> 3) Option to see Country, City, Location, Subject/Header, Comments, Tags
> (People etc) for each picture. Should be shown below (or somewhere) the
> Name, Version, Date, Size and Exposure that is shown today (See TR 170314)

This would be nice.  The current metadata/exif bits are underpowered and
need a lot of work.

> 4) Option to resize the pictures when you send them by email.

The only reason I haven't done this already is that right now the mail
stuff is using the gnome url handler and constructing a mailto: url.
Scaling the images requires creating a temporary file to hold the scaled
image and there is no way using the mailto method to figure out when the
mailer is done using the temp files so that we can remove them.  If
someone has an idea on how to deal with that I'm more than willing to
put it in.

> To mention a few.
>
> And before I end, I want to congratulate the designers of this excellent
> software. It is looking great now, and has excellent potential. I will
> try to help as much as I can and to the best of my abilities.

thanks,

--Larry