Re: sharing the database

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 02:10 +0200, Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> The EXIF contains stuff that are part of the image - camera settings,
> date, etc'. But the tags are much more "personal" than that. It's like
> adding a "Rating" field to the ID3 of a music file - is it really its
> place?

As I understand it, F-Spot is focusing on people's personal photo
collections, and so creating new local tags based on the meta data
available in imported photos makes sense (at least by default; this
-could- be an option).

And, as an added benefit, if the person who made that hypothetical
background image available tagged it appropriately for a background
photo, then it would be tagged nicely with "Sunshine" or "Bright" and
the user will love us.

It is important that our export options include the ability to strip
this meta data if the user doesn't want it shared.  In normal usage, it
seems to me that there are far more benefits from storing it in and
reconstructing it from the file by default than not.

Thanks!

Gabriel