Re: Store more information with photo in sqlite

Patrick

Good suggestions :)

On Må, 2005-08-15, 11:29 pm, Patrick Wagstrom skrev:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 22:22 +0900, Bengt Thuree wrote:
>> Hej
>>
>> Is there any reason why we can not store more information with the photo
>> in the sqlite database?
[snip]
> Perhaps what we really need is some sort of metadata table.  This could
> replace the tables that I've been using for storing license information
> and could be used to store all sorts of other properties.

Sounds perfect to me

[snip]
> Of course a better way would be to have a key table also, saves some of
> the time and storage for string comparasions:
>
> CREATE TABLE key (
> id integer primary key not null,
> name string not null
> );
>
> CREATE TABLE metadata (
> photo integer,
> key integer,
> value string
> );

Some parameters (like IPTC persons) have multiple entries per one field
though.
What do you think of having a field for the key stating if this should be
an automatic TAG or?
That way, the user can decide which meta tags he/she is intererested in
having as TAGS.
Also, there should be a routine to re-scan the pictures if you have
changed your mind.

> This still has a slight disadvantage over the license work in that it
> doesn't allow specification of license properties and each individual
> license takes up more space in the database, but it does allow to easily
> store the other properties that you're talking about.

Why not have a separate license database as well?

> Of course, for this to work, we'll need to get working on automatic
> database schema upgrades because I'm sure people don't want their
> database breaking all the time.

This is a must. Between two released versions there has to be a small
script that upgrades
the database automatically. Since F-Spot is not officially released yet, I
think it is enough
with a separate SQlite upgrade script.

> Silly research is currently distracting me from writing this.
What a bummer... :)

> --Patrick

/Bengt

--