Re: New root category creation advice

Edd Dumbill wrote:
On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 21:33 -0500, Mike Sassak wrote:

I recently downloaded the f-spot source from cvs and really like what I
see so far. One problem I ran into pretty early though is that there is
no way to create a new root category along the lines of the default
"People", "Places" etc. So I began looking at the code, and have changed
TagCommands.cs somewhat to allow the user to select a "Root" category in
the "Create New Category" dialog box. The other categories are then
indented two spaces for each level as usual. The only problem I have
with this, is that I don't really like the dropdown like that; it seems
too complex, and clashes with the lack of a visible "Root" tag in the
left-hand pane. So am I just being neurotic, or would a "New Category in
Root" checkbox (or something to that effect) be more appropriate?

Why don't we just figure out the obvious ones that people might want and
leave it at that, rather than complicating things?

At any rate it might be nice the original ones can't be deleted. e.g.
you could tie special linking into the addressbook if you knew People
and Places always existed, etc.

Just quick random thoughts; but I think you need to say why we need new
root categories?

-- Edd

I think that the ability to add new root categories is an important feature. I can see myself getting very annoyed trying to figure out where to put "Pets", for example. I'm sure others will have similar problems. Surely some people's specialized (or even not-so-specialized) photo collections will need categories other than the four defaults.

I wonder if the dropdown list isn't the right widget to pick the parent category...

Also, can someone explain to me the difference between Tag and Category? Upon quick inspection of the app I can't figure out the difference. I haven't played with Album too much, though--maybe it makes more sense there.

I briefly thought that maybe categories should ALL be at the root level, with all tags underneath those categories, and other tags.

Tim Gerla
tim gerla net