Re: [Evolution] Freezing Preview pane

On Thu, 2022-09-15 at 07:42 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 15:26 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
However,  it is a permanent failure.  The pane will remain frozen
until I reboot my laptop, which is the pain point.

        Hi,
is the whole machine frozen, or only the Evolution, or only the preview
panel itself? Is there a higher CPU usage when it freezes? Maybe it's
doing something in the background, waiting long enough may recover it.

Machine isn't busy as everything is responding as expected.   Htop shows  15-20%
actvitity on all 4 cores, 20GB out of 24 GB of memory in use, and typically < 10 GB
out of 26 GB swap in use ( 24 GB linux swap space and 2GB  swap file ).

It has happened while listening to a live webinar with no obvious effects... no chop,
no jitter,  and no frozen video.  I typically have VPN connections to multple remote
devices which also show no sign of the machine being bogged down ( no connection
lockup, and no dropping of the connection ).

Try to run evolution from a terminal:

   $ flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

I'll give it a try... and it probably won't happen again  :-)

and let it freeze, maybe it'll print something useful there. If you can
move between messages, then you might be able to close Evolution as
well. When you click the close button multiple times, you'll be asked
whether you want to close the app immediately or keep waiting.

It should work fine, when you run Evolution again, no? If the whole app
is frozen, then do:

   $ flatpak kill org.gnome.Evolution

Flatpak kill never works completely.  I always end up with multiple
flatpak-bwrap and flatpak-dbus-pr files owned by init that even  kill -9
won't kill.   Every  2nd or 3rd  attempt to restart Evolution fails as the starting
process "detects" an already running  evolution.