Re: [Evolution] The system of levels, badges and presents of Discourse

On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 11:36 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
Andre, I'm really upset about your prevarication

Thanks for getting personal again (after "My claims make a lot of sense
and you are aware of it") instead of concentrating on arguments, no
matter how over the top (uhm, "Chinese rating systems") they are. :)

Hi,

you claim that a comparison with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System#Scoring_mechanism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System#Reward_and_punishment

is overdone, but it isn't.

"MIT Professor Kevin Slavin has described business research into
gamification as flawed and misleading for those unfamiliar with gaming.
Heather Chaplin, writing in Slate, describes gamification as "an
allegedly populist idea that actually benefits corporate interests over
those of ordinary people"." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification#Criticism

It's the same mechanism, with the same goal. At the moment the
consequences are disastrous for those living a country like China. For
users of GNOME mailing lists the consequences of moving to the
gamification approach is by far not such disastrous, as the >Chinese
credit system, but I never claimed something like this. I was talking
about an "approach" ("Chinese alike approach"). This is not over the
top. In the end market leaders, GNOME belongs to this category, try to
manipulate in the same way. The Internet is kind of an international
country and this oddity just started, it might lead to something even
more worse, than the Social Credit System of China is today.

Regards,
Ralf